Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Random Thoughts for Monday

So you learn something new every day, eh?

Today while filling up the beast at the Costco gas station, I was chatting with the attendant and he told me what my problem is with that damn Suburban - when I fill it up at Costco filling stations I have to physically hold the gas lever up so it fills. If I put it on that perch thing so it self fills allowing me to hang out in the car for the half a day or so it takes to fill that huge tank, it inevetibly shuts off too early and I leave with only a half or 3/4 tank of gas. Grrr. The less stops I have to make to fill that bugger up, the better, what with screaming kids and no free time in my life.


The attendant told me that the fill rate for the Costco gas stations is very fast, so what is in fact happening is that the gas is splashing back and causing the pump to switch off. If I put it on the lowest self fill level, I'll probably be fine. And you know what? It worked! After five years of cussing that thing out, I know how to fill it! Yowza!

Two phrases I never thought I'd say to my children:

"Kyle, don't skitch your Grandmother!" Said to child wearing healeys as he grabs Grandma's arm to coast across the parking lot to breakfast.

And,.,..

"Jared, where is your girdle?" Yes, never thought I'd be asking my 10 year old boy where his girdle was. It's actually for football - you put hip and butts pads in it, which is really hilarious to me, because as I explained to him when he asked what I thought a girdle was, I told him it did the absolute opposite for girls when they wear them - we wear them to unpad our hips and butts.

Newest Fixation

Pumpkin Spice Lattes. Yes, stupid, I know, to actually try one, what with my addiction to Eggnog Lattes. Oh so yummy. I really stopped for the B because it was soooo cold outside that we didn't get to play at the school playground for long, and I needed gas, which takes half a day to fill the Suburban tank, so I thought, why not get her a dum dum sucker to pass the time? Which of course means going to a drive through coffee shop and then why not try the new Pumpkin Spice Latte? Then me and my Catholic girl guilt I tip the gal a whole dollar for the free sucker. But boy is B happy to have a sucker for breakfast!

More Evidence of Poor Parenting Skills

So I was doing my Kindergartner's VIP poster for school, which meant drumming up pictures of him to paste on the paper. I ran into these:



This was taken from the backseat of my friend's car - yes those are my kids on the 'bechek' which is a motorcycle with a side car that people in Indonesia use for taxis. I am safely ensconced in a big NGO vehicle, but no, my kids are hanging out without seatbelts, helmets or other protection as we head back from the pool, which was our 'PE' for homeschooling.



This is Muslim, the bechek driver. My friends Michelle and EB gave me his number so I could text him when I needed him. Much better than wandering down to the main street with kids, haggling over prices when I needed a ride somewhere. Amazing that I ever got him on time as I speak no Indonesian and he doesn't speak English. I used him to go to work meetings too, which was rather hilarious, but hopefully made my customers feel like my software company was giving them a good price if my company didn't believe I needed an actual vehicle to do business! Nothing like supporting the local economy, eh? Although I was never adventurous enough to take the local bus, like my other crazy 6 foot blonde friend EB was.

At Least Someone Is Getting Something Done Cuz It Ain't Me:

Hubby wrote that CRS is turning over 200 more houses today in two villages that were wrecked by the tsunami. That's such great news! Makes me feel not so bad about not getting my laundry done. When you get married, two become one, right Father Ken? So I can slack off today because my much better half is being so productive. Off to sip on that latte now,....

No comments: